LEED CS v2.0 Amendment separate metering work around

2 posts / 0 new
Last post

Hi all,

I have been tasked with the review comments on a Core and Shell (CS) project. The amendment demands you split the Savings as a % of Core & Shell Building Load and the Savings as a % of Whole Building Load due to tenant use vs. CS use.

My question is this... The energy model (not done by me) was done in Trace, all the LEED templates filled out, submitted etc, but now we are looking a breaking out the 2 different % Savings mentioned above.

Primarily we need:

1) Tenant plug load and tenant lighting load

2) Common lighting, common HVAC, common plug/process, and tenant HVAC (since it is directly controlled by owner/developer)

The model is complete and meets the criteria to receive the attempted points, but I just need to know if there is a way to split these in Trace (which I assume there is not), and if anyone has ran into this problem before and what type of work-arounds do you suggest such that LEED is happy.

I have thought about having 2 different Trace files, each with the respective loads mentioned above but in sheer pandamonium to get some help I have not fully thought that option through and am seeking any and all advice/suggestions on this matter.

Thank You,

Jimmy

Below is the LEED comment...

Instructions:
The calculation table on the "CS v2 EAc1 Table" tab sets variable point compliance thresholds based on the percentage of a CS project that the developer/owner (developer) controls.  To use the CS v2 EAc1 Table, the CS project team is required to determine the percentage of energy using elements of the project that are influenced or directly controlled by the developer of the core and shell project. To determine the percent of energy cost influenced or directly controlled by developer, the entire building including all tenant (estimated as necessary) and owner controlled energy loads is modeled and post processed to determine a “% developer controlled” and “% tenant controlled”.  The “% percent developer controlled” (expressed as a percentage of total energy cost) is entered in to the highlighted cell (cell F9) adjacent to the "Percent of Energy Cost Influenced or Directly Controlled by CS Owner/Developer:" cell. 

In some cases the modeler will be required to create some separate meters in the model to properly account for the separation of tenant and owner controlled energy loads.  The energy model results should include an energy cost breakdown to determine the developer controlled percentage.  Using a proportion of the modeled energy cost based on floor area or any other parameter is not permitted.

Energy using systems that are influenced by the developer include those that may be impacted by choices made by the developer, such as the selection of tenant HVAC which would be based on the core and shell building envelope, etc.  Energy savings based requirements mandated in a tenant sales and/or lease agreement are permitted to be included in the percentage of energy cost influenced or controlled by the developer.  Energy using systems that are owned, installed, and/or operated by the developer are considered directly controlled.  For example, HVAC systems and lighting for the common spaces as well as process energy use such as the elevator system.

Example 1:
A CS office building where 25% of the total energy cost is for tenant plug load, 25% is tenant lighting, 5% is common space lighting, 5% is common space HVAC, 5% is common space plug load/process energy (mostly elevator) and the remaining 35% is tenant HVAC.  The common space lighting, HVAC, and plug load are under the developer’s control.  The 35% tenant HVAC is under the developer’s influence (through the envelope and HVAC choices) so that entire percentage counts as well.  The percentage entered in the table for this example is 50%.

Example 2:
A CS warehouse in a temperate climate with 5% common space lighting and 5% common space HVAC, 60% tenant lighting, 20% tenant plug load and 10% tenant HVAC. The percentage entered in the table for this exampled is 20%.

Anonymous's picture
Anonymous

That was me above, guess I wasn't logged in... I appreciate all your comments!

jwoodard's picture