eQUEST 3.65 v7173 (April 2016) - reinstallation; SIM Viewer

2 posts / 0 new
Last post

Hi Pasha,
Yes, I had the same issues when installing the newest version of 3.65. Rather than do a complete uninstall of the previous version, I did the following:

- Renamed the ?eQUEST 3-65? folder that is installed in the ?Program Files (x86)? folder of the local hard drive

- Renamed the ?eQUEST 3-65 Data? folder that is installed in the ?Documents? or ?My Documents? folder of the local hard drive

- Renamed the ?eQUEST 3-65 Projects? folder that is installed in the ?Documents? or ?My Documents? folder of the local hard drive

- Deleted the Desktop shortcut

- Installed the new version using default settings
I renamed the folders of the previous version by adding the version number (7164) to the name (my arbitrary choice).

I share your dislike of the newer D2SimViewer. You can still use older versions of the viewer when opening the SIM file ? just not from within eQUEST. Assuming you still have eQUEST 3-64 installed, go to the Program Files (x86) -> eQUEST 3-64 folder and open the D2SimViewer.exe application. Select any of your SIM files to open (from any eQUEST project, regardless of the version is was created in). Then open an existing eQUEST project folder and find a SIM file (again, for any eQUEST version). Right-click on the file name in the file folder to Open With -> Choose Default Program?
If it finds two versions of the SIM Viewer as ?Recommended Programs?, the version you most recently used (older 3.64 version) should be highlighted. Click ?OK? to make that the default.
When you have an eQUEST 3.65 project open and click ?View Detailed Simulation Output File?, it will still open with the new viewer. But if you open the SIM file from the project folder, it will use the older SIM Viewer if you chose it as the default. I tried moving the older SIM viewer files into the 3.65 Program Files folder but it causes eQUEST errors.

Regards,
~Bill

William Bishop, PE, BEMP, BEAP, CEM, LEED AP | Pathfinder Engineers & Architects LLP
Senior Energy Engineer

[cid:image005.jpg at 01D1D83F.6A4DD500] [cid:image007.jpg at 01D1D83F.6A4DD500]

134 South Fitzhugh Street Rochester, NY 14608

T: (585) 698-1956 F: (585) 325-6005

bbishop at pathfinder-ea.com www.pathfinder-ea.com

[http://png-5.findicons.com/files/icons/977/rrze/720/globe.png]Carbon Fee and Dividend - simple, effective, and market-based.

via Equest-users's picture

Everyone:

I believe Bill suggested procedure requires an extra step.

Here?s a slightly re-ordered & expanded process I followed to get multiple builds of the same eQuest version up and running:

- Rename the ?eQUEST 3-65 Data? folder that is installed in the ?Documents? or ?My Documents? folder of the local hard drive [NC: I chose ?eQUEST 3-65 Data v7163?]

- Rename the ?eQUEST 3-65 Projects? folder that is installed in the ?Documents? or ?My Documents? folder of the local hard drive [NC: I chose ?eQUEST 3-65 Data v7163?]

- Rename the ?eQUEST 3-65? folder that is installed in the ?Program Files (x86)? folder of the local hard drive [NC: I chose ?eQUEST 3-65 v7163?]

- Navigate into this renamed directory, and do a few more things:

1. Open up the file eQUEST.ini in a text editor, and update the associated Data and Project paths you renamed to start:

2. Right-click equest.exe, and create a shortcut to this executable [NC: I chose ?eQUEST 3-65 v7163?].

3. Delete the Desktop Shortcut and/or the Start Menu shortcuts to eQUEST 3.65 (whatever you use to normally start the program). Copy/Drag your new shortcut to replace.

- Install the new version using default settings

I think this extra INI step resolves some (hopefully all) problems associated with new vs. old referencing the intended resources/engine/libraries/etc.

~Nick

Nick Caton, P.E.

Senior Energy Engineer
Energy and Sustainability Services
North America Operations
Schneider Electric

D 913.564.6361
M 785.410.3317
E nicholas.caton at schneider-electric.com
F 913.564.6380

15200 Santa Fe Trail Drive
Suite 204