Pump energy consumption way too high

3 posts / 0 new
Last post

I modeled my first geothermal system (GSHP), but my numbers are not quite right. On my Energy Cost Report the heating and cooling values are what I expected, however, the pumps consume substantially more energy than expected (on the order of 20X more).

I then went to the Equipment Energy Consumption report to see what pump was consuming all the energy, and found the Plant Geothermal Pump consumes a ridiculous amount of energy(4 million kWh instead of a few thousand). I also found that my geothermal system has a max block coil load of 18,000 ton instead of the expected 600 ton. All of the other plants and systems seem very reasonable; it's just those two issues.

So, my question is, are these two problems related, and what could be causing my high Plant Geothermal Pump consumption and high max block coil tonnage?

Your help is much appreciated! 

Troup's picture

I surmise that the issues are related. They would go hand in hand.

My guess is that you have a system that has very high tonnage? (system checksums). This is likely due to something with ASHRAE Std 62 in most cases I have seen. 

If you don't have a system with ultra high tonnage, then the problem would be elsewhere

Bob F's picture
eQUEST UserLEED EA Credit 1 TrainingTRACE 700 User

Bob, that was it! I had some problems importing the geofield for my as built model, but after I got the units right it ran on that. Then, I had forgot to change all of the baseline rooms off of Std 62. After those 2 issues were resolved, it ran exactly as expected. Thank you very much for the help!

Troup's picture