90.1-2007 Table 7.8 Water Heater Efficiencies

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Could anyone help me understand the calculation for the minimum efficiency of gas storage water heaters per the table above? The calculation is 80%Et (Q/800+110 SqRt V) SL, Btuh. I understand that Q is the nameplate input rate in Btuh and V is the volume. Do I use the volume of the whole system, the storage tank only or the recovery rate volume? I understand SL is the standby loss. Does SL, Btuh mean multiply the equation in parenthesis by the standby loss in btu's per hour? Thanks for the help, Paul Diglio
Paul Diglio's picture
Paul, I interpret as the allowable Standby Loss is: 80%Et (Q/800+110 SqRt V) Footnote a indicates SL is maximum BTU/h based on 70 degree temp difference between stored water and ambient requirements. Mark
Zoeteman, Mark R.'s picture
Hi Paul, There are two things being talked about, one is thermal efficiency and the other is standby loss. Standby loss represented as (Q/800+110 SqRt V) and thermal efficiency represented as 80%. I had the same doubt a while back. If you look at other Formulae they are represented in the same way. Like for instantaneous water heaters Energy Factor is given by 0.62-0.0019V. Btu/h is the unit for Standby Loss. Not a multiplication factor. Hope this helps. Cheers Kushagra
Akshay Pahade's picture

I expect the natural followup is "how do I put this (SL) into eQuest?"

Attached thread spells out how you start with SL and arrive at UA. Also
includes an example with the electric heater equation.

~Nick

NICK CATON, P.E.

Nick-Caton's picture
Thanks Kushagra & Nick. Paul Diglio
Paul Diglio's picture