Recollective is a leading values-based (certified BCorp) Canadian green building consulting firm focused on integrated design facilitation, LEED, Living Building Challenge and advanced building simulations. We have successfully completed over 40 LEED certifications, over 175 energy models, and are currently consulting on over 100 active LEED projects. We’ve been in business for over 8 years with strong ties to the Canada and Cascadia Green Building Councils, as well as the International Living Future Institute, Energy Modelling Institute and IBPSA-Canada.
We are growing our Energy Services department, and are seeking a highly experienced and entrepreneurial Director to lead and grow the team to serve a broader national and international market. This senior role includes an attractive benefits package, performance based bonuses, and profit sharing with a potential for an ownership role.
The successful candidate must be an experienced HVAC designer and energy modeller with a thorough understanding of building physics and passive design. We need someone with strong verbal and written communication skills, English fluency, and the ability to effectively translate technical energy modelling processes and results to lay persons and clients. The candidate must also be able to manage and nurture the growth of an energy modelling team working on numerous projects.
It is very important to us that the candidate supports and enhances the culture of Recollective. We’re passionate about our work because it’s aligned with our values (sustainability, integrity, collaboration and innovation). If this opportunity excites you, then please apply!
● Lead Recollective’s strategic priorities around business development within the Energy Services department
● Seek and write proposals for RFQs and RFPs
● Seek out marketing opportunities
● Bring new clients to Recollective
● Keep abreast of industry developments and promote Recollective as leading experts in green building and specifically energy modelling
● Attend and speak at technical and professional conferences, seminars, and meetings
● Explore new service offerings.
● Accountable for the overall quality and client satisfaction on Energy Services projects and how the team collectively meets clients’ needs
● Develop excellent working relationships with clients and maintain our position as leading experts in green building
● Manage client expectations and ensure client satisfaction
● Communicate technical energy modelling concepts, processes, and results to clients in clear and simple terms so they understand and appreciate the impact and value.
Project and Financial Management
● Manage the overall operational, budgetary, and financial responsibilities and activities of the department
● Plan and allocate resources to effectively staff and accomplish the work
● Plan, evaluate, and improve the efficiency of business processes and procedures to enhance speed, quality, efficiency, and output
● Monitor and measure departmental productivity, goal achievement, and overall effectiveness
● Provide regular reporting of project and team performance to CEO.
● Provide oversight and direction empowering employees to take responsibility for their jobs and goals
● Coach, mentor, and develop staff, including overseeing new employee onboarding and providing career development planning and opportunities
● Provide an overall context and framework to encourage employee contribution that includes goal setting, feedback, and performance development planning
● Provide effective performance feedback through employee recognition, rewards, and disciplinary action.
● Commitment to environmental responsibility and social equity
● Mindful and emotionally mature
● Excellent communication skills (fluent written and spoken English)
● Fantastic leadership skills
● Awesome people management skills and experience
● Outstanding project management experience
● Entrepreneurial spirit
● Experience managing budgets
● Registered Professional Engineer
● Masters or Degree in Mechanical Engineering, Engineering Physics, or equivalent
● 3-5 years experience designing, or installing, or commissioning HVAC systems
● Experience with ASHRAE standards including 90.1, 62.1 and 55 as well as NECB
● 3-5 years experience energy modelling for LEED projects using approved software such as IES-VE, eQUEST, EE4, etc.
● Knowledge and experience in passive design strategies and energy efficient building systems
● Strong attention to detail and outstanding ability to organize and prioritize work tasks
● Happy to work in a dynamic open-office environment.
● Can immediately bring new clients and/or new energy modelling staff to Recollective
● Experience starting and completing at least 10 energy models for certified LEED projects
● Experience owning and managing a business
● MBA or other business / commerce degree or diploma
● Ability to speak different languages, particularly Mandarin and/or Cantonese
● CaGBC approved Energy Modeler
● BC Hydro approved Energy Modeler
● USGBC energy model reviewer
● Experience with Daylight Modelling and/or Thermal Comfort Modelling and/or CFD
● Experience with concept stage modelling software
● Experience with Ecotect, EnergyPlus, TRANSYS, HAP, TRACE, etc
● LEED Commissioning experience
● LEED Measurement and Verification experience
● Green building research or consulting experience
● LEED AP
This senior role includes an attractive benefits package, performance based bonuses, and profit sharing with a potential for an ownership role. Compensation is commensurate with experience, and is rewarded through performance. Cover Letter should include annual base salary expectations.
Please ONLY submit applications through our website (recollective.ca/jobs). Applications will be accepted until January 9, 2015 however we may keep the opportunity open until filled. Our preferred start date is March 2, 2015 or earlier. Please indicate availability in cover letter. No phone calls please.
While we truly appreciate all applications, only those selected for interview will be contacted.
Applications are only accepted online:
Energy-Models.com is a site for energy modelers, building simulators, architects, and engineers who want learn the basics, to advanced concepts of energy modeling. We've got online training courses and tutorials for eQUEST, Trane TRACE 700, OpenStudio, and LEED for energy modeling. All our energy modeling courses are video based. What better way to learn energy modeling software than screen-casts of exactly how things are done?
Copyright © 2010-2013 CosmoLogic LLC. TRACE 700 and eQUEST are ™ of Trane Inc. and James J. Hirsch respectively. Energy-Models.com is built in San Francisco, CA and Slinger, WI USA.