Trace 700 Tips & Tricks

8 posts / 0 new
Last post

I have been working with the Trace energy analysis program for a while. And over the years I have learned about some of the "bugs" Trace encounters.
For example....you can not have a file name longer than 15 characters. If you do, this may corrupt your file.
Does anyone else have tips like this? I'd like to keep my files as clean as possible to prevent the typical Trane Trace quirks from popping up.
Thanks!

jend's picture
Archive early and archive often. The TRACE archive file utility "cleans up" the file while also backing up your data and library members.
tracewindu's picture
LEED EA Credit 1 TrainingTRACE 700 User
NEVER run a file from a network location. Saving and storing files on a network drive is more than fine but when you want to open the file and make revisions to it copy the file down to your local hard drive first and then open it. This must be done whether you're running TRACE locally on your PC or via a network install. Many users ignore the warning message about this. When this failure occurs it can be a catastrophic corruption of the file and total loss of data.
tracewindu's picture
LEED EA Credit 1 TrainingTRACE 700 User
One time saving trick I learned is that when selecting items in large drop down menus, select the menu, then use the keyboard to hit the first letter of the selection you are looking to make (ie type "P" when wanting to jump to a schedule that starts with people)
Bob's picture
Bob
eQUEST UserLEED AP BD+CTRACE 700 User

Any idea how to combine 2 TRACE700 files into one, to avoid input data again ? Thanks

Anonymous's picture
Anonymous

LL (Is this really Lindsey Lohan?)  :D

Anyway, yes there are two ways to do this. It depends if you want to add an existing alternative to a file or if you want to combine alternatives.

You need to open TRACE and close, so you have a gray screen. Then go to file and new and select new file based on Be careful here.

It will prompt to select a file. DON'T SELECT A FILE this time. Give it the new file name.

Select open, and it will save your file. Then it will ask you to select the file or files and you can select two files (using the control key, and yes, they must be in the same folder).

Then click open and TRACE will ask you which alternatives to import. It will also ask if you wish to merge plants.  It's a little odd how that works, depending on how the  plants are named. If plants are the most important thing, you may want to try both options and see which works best.

Then, you should have a file with combined alternatives.

In order to bring in an existing alternative from another file:

While in file 1, click "ctrl+ alt +B" and then select file 2, then select which alternative you wish to bring in. Keep in mind that this process does on occasion have some bugs (but usually only when 4 alternatives are involved).

Hope that helps

Bob's picture
Bob
eQUEST UserLEED AP BD+CTRACE 700 User

Thanks a lot Joe. I need to practice it more to make it work. By the way, no, this is not Lindsey Lohan. This is an old fashioned engineering designer somehow got into the energy modeling and struggling with the new fashion and wondering how to make the program listen to me...I guess I need to sign up somehow to get back more often. Thanks.

L

Anonymous's picture
Anonymous

I recommend that you create a Trane Trace Projects folder on your hard drive, directly under the drive name (usually C:).

By default, Trane will create a project folder under your user profile. The problem with this is that if you are not in the office and someone else needs one of your files, you will have to give them your password. The files are accessible to any user who logs onto the computer if they are stored directly under C:

lowedogg's picture
TRACE 700 User