Heat recovery issues

6 posts / 0 new
Last post

I seem to be running into a slight problem getting the heat recovery
system to work. Right now I have it set as a sensible wheel with an
airflow of 35315 cfm and an efficiency of 60% (all according to the
specifications given to me). Unfortunately, using the heat exchanger
actually causes my energy consumption to increase. Do you have any idea
why this might be happening and what I can do to fix it?

Rebecca Grove, LEED AP

Grove, Rebecca's picture

Note that the eQUEST default control for heat recovery is "Float" which
maximizes heat recovery at all times. Consider changing this to "Mixed
Air Reset" where heat recovery will be modulated, allowing economizer free
cooling when applicable.

bfountain's picture

eQUEST v3.63 (using DOE-2.2 v47b) release

A new release of eQUEST has been posted to the eQUEST information and download page on the www.DOE2.com website.

New Features in eQUEST v3.63 (DOE-2.2 v47b)

Below we provide a rundown on the most significant enhancements made to eQUEST and its DOE-2.2 simulation engine since version v3.61b. For more details please review the following three documents:

? eQUEST-v3-63_Update-Summary describes eQUEST enhancements and bug fixes

? DOE-2.2 Documentation, Volume 6: New Features describes DOE-2.2 simulation engine enhancements (~0.5 MB)

? Bugfixes-047b.pdf describes DOE-2.2 simulation engine bug fixes

An updated eQUEST 3.63 Tutorial self-training guide is also available.

Processing is being performed now to have this version of eQUEST listed as an approved software program for use in calculating commercial building energy and power cost savings that meet federal tax incentive requirements under IRS code Section 179D. We plan to submit eQUEST 3.63 to USDOE within the next four weeks.

New Installation Details and Resulting Project File Locations

Owing to MS Vista security considerations and to facilitate installation within military and corporate IT environments, eQUEST files are now installed into a different directory location when compared to previous releases. User project files and data files that can be changed during use are no longer installed into the same directory structure as the executable components of eQUEST. To install eQUEST project and data files in you're 'My Documents' folder, select the installation option 'Just Me'. See the eQUEST Installation & Testing instructions for details.

New Features/Enhancements to DOE-2.2

Listed in reverse chronological order (most recent first).

? ASHARE-Enhanced Residential Infiltration

? Zonal Exhaust Make-Up Via Infiltration

? Additional Window Covering Controls

? DX Evaporative Condensers

? Whole-House Fan Exhaust to an Attic

? Photocell Override of Schedules

? Mixing of DHW Hot and Cold Water Flows

? User-Defined Convective/Radiative Splits

? Temperature-Dependent Space Equipment

? User-Defined Daylight-Savings Periods

SD and DD Wizards

? Condensing boilers

? Demand Controlled Ventilation

? Light tubes, enhanced skylights, and daylighting control options

? upgraded DWG compatibility to support versions through 2009

? Pitched roof shape - users can outline a custom roof 'footprint' shape - allows user to simplify roof outlines

? Oregon energy code (climate-zone specific) defaults

? Canadian locations (103 cities, 68 CWEC files - thanks to NRCan)

EEM Wizard

A 'Whole Building/Site' option has been added to the EEM Wizard. This new feature allows users to define EEM runs by re-visiting the main wizard (Schematic or DD Wizard), thus permitting any or all EEM runs to be defined based on changes made using the main wizard, e.g., different HVAC system types, building shape, zoning, window layouts, etc.

New eQUEST Documentation

The following new items of eQUEST documentation have been added and are available via right click at any wizard or detailed interface input field or via the Help menu in the Detailed Interface (select 'Tutorials and Reference'):

? Updated Introductory Tutorial

? Modeling Procedures Quick Reference Guide

? Detailed Simulation Reports Summary

? Life-Cycle Cost Tutorial

Component Tree

When deleting objects from the component tree, retain the original view of the component tree, i.e., do not reposition the tree to the top of the tree.

Allow deleting of an entire 'branch' within the component tree.

File Open

Upon opening eQUEST projects with links to missing CAD files, allow user options to skip or delete the missing CAD file links.

Output Files/Reports

#of hours outside throttling range has been added to the 'Parms.CSV' file (automatically produced when performing either EEM or parametric runs).

---
Jeff Hirsch

Jeff Hirsch's picture

Hi,
?
I have the same situation, My basline is using DX coils with furnace for warm up heat and VAV with electric coils for re heat. The addition of a dual enthalpy wheel heat recovery system caused the energy consumption to increase. I changed the default control to "Mixed Air Reset" and the consumption dropped significantly but is still slightly higher than the baseline run. Any other thoughts?

Thanks,
Doy?Sanguyu

dsan2525 at yahoo.com's picture

Next, I suspect that the static pressure added by the heat recovery
coils/wheel is overshadowing the heat recovery achieved.

bfountain's picture

Hi All:

I am a Masters student completing my project and want to add Heat Recovery to the Energy Efficiency Measures (EEM) Wizard, is this at all possible??

Thanks for any help!

Amal.

Amal Jina's picture