Toilets in Trace700

3 posts / 0 new
Last post

I would like to find out how do you set up toilets in Trace. I have office building where small toilets are only served by extract fan. Grill in door will provide make up air. I can think about few options:

1) make CAV system for WC, at the end air will have to be supply somewhere I just providing air directly in Toilet room

2) set up in template ventilation rate =0 and just type room exhaust = however,not sure if that is OK as unbalanced

3) In room-Airflow select toilets and at the top chose adjusted air transfer from room, in that scenario I will also just type Room exhaust value and ventilation will be left as 0, system probable will chose heating only

Can anyone tell me bet way of doing it?

SST's picture
SST

SST-

The best way to do this is option 3. However, TRACE will only be allowed what is available in the adjacent room. For instance, if you specify 100 cfm of exhaust and the corridor as the adjacent room, the corridor must have 100 cfm of combined ventilation & infiltration. If the corridor only has say 75 cfm of combined vent +infil, you will only be allowed 75 cfm.

HOWEVER, you could try setting an adjacent room to the corridor in such a case (and set up a cascade). This doesn't always work in TRACE because of other algorithms for balancing airflow.

Another tip: 

Remember, airflows in reality, are balanced at the AHU. Therefore, you can call any room on a system as the "adjacent room". For instance, if there is an office with ample outdoor air, you may simply want to specify that as the adjacent room on the WC's.

Bob's picture
Bob
eQUEST UserLEED AP BD+CTRACE 700 User

Bob,

Thanks, I think I will use your last suggestion form your tip. I have large quantity of supply air for office spaces so that shall be sufficient. Another question is system which shall be specified for toilet/ or similar arrangement room?

When toilet is heated by radiators, option 3 from above above I will just select heating only and I will also just type Room exhaust value and ventilation will be left as 0

what shall I do if toilet or another room could be store does not have any heating or cooling ?

I want to find out about unheated rooms and unconditioned rooms - how to deal with those one. One one hand we want to include them to make sure that floor area in LEED match other credit on other side I can not have unconditioned room with  no system and plants.

SST's picture
SST