Schedule relief fan operation during airside economizer mode

2 posts / 0 new
Last post

I have a VAV AHU with a economizer which is schedule with an "On" point of 20 Btu/lb.  This AHU also has a relief fan that is activated once the AHU goes into economizer mode.  How do I properly add and schedule this relief fan operation?  Thanks for your help.

jmowrey's picture

Just pick a fan type that you are not currently using in the applicable system. I think the auxiliary fan would be best - but you might need to test a few fan types (the ventilation fan MIGHT work).

Then, set that fan up (as you normally would - with the proper static and power - etc).

1. The trick here is to create a custom schedule - Create a schedule that is Off 24/7.
  2. Then - set the reset and lockout so that the schedule is 100 percent, anytime the outdoor air enthalpy is less than 20 btu/lb (note that reset and lockout does not work for all fan types - thus, my earlier comment on needing to test it)
  3. AND - add a rule so that the Room dry bulb temperature is set to ~1 degree less than your cooling setpoint (so that the economizer fan does not run in heating mode) I assumed the cooling setpoint was 75 here.
  4. Don't enter anything for the offset

See the attached Image

Reset and Lockout Schedule in Trane TRACE 700
Bob's picture
Bob
eQUEST UserLEED AP BD+CTRACE 700 User