Unmet Cooling Hours: Where did they come from?

1 post / 0 new

Ok, so a bit more of a complex question here...for those of you who would not mind a challenge, it would be a great help to me.

I am trying to model a pool room. There are two scenarios - one model had what I believe to be a few inherent problems, and a second model which seems to me more correct but showing a significant number of unmet cooling hours. The pool room is designed to be receiving supply air from a WSHP, has a duct heater, fin tube radiant heating and a dehumidification unit all affecting this room. The model scenarios are below.

MODEL #1 (without Duct Heater and correctly modeled fin tube radiation)

Heating Plants: Gas Hot Water Boilers and an Electric Hot Water Boiler;

Cooling Plants: WSHP (Backup heat source for WSHP>Gas Hot Water Boilers; Reject Condenser heat>Heating Plant; Reject heat to plant>Gas Hot Water Boilers).

System: Constant Volume - Non-mixing, WSHP, Options (none - all), Fans; Primary>FC Centrifugal Const Vol (1.5 in. SP, 2HP) and Room Exhaust>FC Centrifugal Const Vol (0.5 in. SP, 0.36 KW); Main Cooling Coil>100% of Design Capacity by adjusting airflow, Main Heating Coil>100% Design, Preheat Coil>100% of Design Capacity, Humidification>100% of Design Capacity; See the attached image (POOL_EM1+2.jpg > MODEL #1) for the Assigned Systems/Coils (This will differ from model #2 significantly. I had to cut and paste info for Model #2 so what is floating in the Unassigned Systems/Coils box is actually assigned. Needed to compress the file size in order to submit the picture, so I apologize if this is confunsing.)

I had very few unmet heating hours and no unmet cooling hours for this room when I ran the calculation.

MODEL #2 (below, bold text denotes difference between model #1 and model #2)

Heating Plants: Gas Hot Water Boilers, Electric Hot Water Boiler, and a Pool Electric Duct Reheat Coil (Auxiliary);

Cooling Plants: WSHP (Backup heat source for WSHP>Gas Hot Water Boilers; Reject Condenser heat>Heat Rejection Equipment; Reject heat to plant>N/A).

System: Constant Volume - Non-mixing, WSHP, Options (none - all), Fans; Primary>FC Centrifugal Const Vol (1.5 in. SP, 2HP) and Room Exhaust>FC Centrifugal Const Vol (0.5 in. SP, 0.36 KW); Main Cooling Coil>100% of Design Capacity by adjusting airflow, Main Heating Coil>100% Design, Auxiliary heating coil>40 KW, Preheat Coil>100% of Design Capacity, Humidification>100% of Design Capacity; See the attached image for the Assigned Systems/Coils (MODEL #2 in attached image)

After running the calculations, there were over 5,000 hours where the temperature in the pool room were above 100F, the rest of the hours were within the design range of 80-85F, leading to unmet cooling hours. Is this a matter of improper scheduling (most everything is set to Available 100%)? I am trying to pinpoint what created this huge discrepancy between the two models. I notice that there is also no Optional Ventilation Cooling Coil associated with model #2. Maybe that is the source?

JAllen's picture