Ground Temperature

4 posts / 0 new
Last post

So I've been modeling some geothermal systems. Trace 700 will now spit out some Geothermal Plant Summaries that have .GT1 file data in them, but I've noticed the ground temperature is like 49degF, which is true for up around Ft Drum, NY but not the case for Ft Lee, VA. Ft Lee undsturbed ground temp is like 60-63degF. According to Trace700 IGSHPA calc's the GeoEwt based on weather location (none come through with .TMY, Custom takes from the monthly temp profile from a temp schedule, or Vert Bore which you can upload GHLEPro file data back into Trace.

So how can I set the ground temp to 60degF

Be Sustainable -- Never let today use up tomorrow!.

Bobba_Fett's picture

Got it! I went to the Trace700 Help Menu (#1 source of information) and followed the instructions. I spit out a GT1 file from Trace700. Imported into GHLEPro. Then within GHLEPro...get it set up to do the GHLESize calc, set your min/max and months (I've been going 25yrs) then before you click OK to do the calc, Click the File Preference at the bottom and only check the Create.csv and Temp Summary boxes. This saves the .csv file to your C:\Programs\Program Files\GHLEPro folder. Move your .csv file to the same folder as your Trace Yourfilename.trc file. Rename the .csv file to Yourfilename.geo.idf. Trace will only recognize this ".geo.idf" file and will use these EWT's for the Vertical Bore calc's.

When I used this method, I gained 3% in energy efficiency.

Be Sustainable -- Never let today use up tomorrow!.

Bobba_Fett's picture

Bobba,

I have the demo copy of GLHEPro (you do mean this software, correct: http://www.hvac.okstate.edu/glhepro/) an am thinking of purchasing. Obviously, I can't test fully the trace export, GLHE import, geoloop design in GLHE, and export - import back into trace.By your post above I believe I read you are happy with this software and works well with Trane Trace? What other comment would you have about the software??

Thanks for your thoughts!

GoogleNerd's picture

I believe that you an also create a custom Geothermal Well configuration with the monthly ground temp in schedules.

calipidgious's picture
TRACE 700 User