Energy Code Compliance - LEED (90.1)

4 posts / 0 new
Last post

Greetings Users,

Does eQuest version 3.64 model energy compliance against 90.1 standards? I
have been able to create parametric runs and manually enter the 90.1 values
but it looks like eQuest should do that for me. In reading about it, there
should be a library with 90.1 construction items, like walls and windows.

Any information will be much appreciated!

Yoni G. Pollak, P.E.

Yoni Pollak's picture

Hi Yoni,

Strictly, eQuest can be used as a means to demonstrate compliance via the energy cost budget method (ECBM, section 11), but there is not an automated process built in as you might be envisioning.

eQuest's "90.1" libraries & references are specifically for use in developing an Appendix G baseline (not ECBM) for LEED 3.0, which is to say 90.1-2007.

That said, I'd feel remiss to not mention that 90.1 compliance is nearly always most easily performed prescriptively, not with any energy model. If it's an option, I would prefer to start from scratch prescriptively over a modeling approach (your developed model can still be used alongside as a reference for takeoffs and equipment details). COMcheck in particular makes prescriptive compliance/documentation very easy.

Best wishes,

~Nick
[cid:489575314 at 22072009-0ABB]

NICK CATON, P.E.

Nick-Caton's picture

I agree with what you are saying but under the Project & Site Tab, if you
select Project in the Component Tree, there is a keyword regarding Energy
Code Compliance and you select the code version (LEED 3.0, Title 24, etc.)
I have not been able to get this to work. In reading the help, it seems
that there should be 901 SCH items built into eQuest.

Yoni G. Pollak, PE

Yoni Pollak's picture

Hi Yoni,

The purpose/function of the Project & Site input you're referencing, as I understand it, is to unlock the myriad of additional inputs required to allow the LEED 3.0 baseline process (or other compliance analysis) to operate. This same input is available back in the wizards.

For example, here is a space input window in detailed mode before and after enabling "LEED-NC - v3.0." Note how a series of additional space inputs are required for eQuest to correctly determine the baseline LPD, and HVAC system type.
[cid:image002.png at 01CD761A.61641A70]
[cid:image003.png at 01CD761A.61641A70]

That said, if you're specifically looking for libraries of schedules, you can find some by selecting the dropdown for any schedule input, selecting "- library -", then choose any of the categories following "starting points." eQuest comes equipped with a series of schedules - but what's available does not appear affected by the compliance input under discussion. I not certain any of these categories match the scheduling found for occupancy, domhw, lighting, elevators etc. within the 90.1 user's manual, which may be what you're looking for ultimately.

~Nick

[cid:489575314 at 22072009-0ABB]

NICK CATON, P.E.

Nick-Caton's picture