ASHRAE 90.1-2007 baseline fan flow

1 post / 0 new

Hello everyone,
I got the following comment from a LEED reviewer, and was hoping you guys could help me out.
"It is unclear whether the Baseline case fan air flow rates were sized based on a 20 deg. F supply-air-to-room-air temperature difference for each Baseline system because using the sensible heat equation (Q = 1.08*CFM*deltaT) with the total cooling capacity of 1,103,721 Btuh and total supply airflow of 15,656 CFM reported in Table 1.4.7A, it appears that a temperature difference of 65 deg. F was used. Update the model, provide input summary reports showing that the Baseline case air flow rates were sized based on a 20 deg. F supply-air-to-room-air temperature difference per G3.1.2.8, update Supplemental Table 1.4 to reflect the total Baseline Case air flow, and update the form to reflect any changes made."

The zone temperature is set to 75F and the MIN-SUPPLY-T is set to 55F, therefore it should be sized based on the 20 degree difference if I leave the airflow to be estimated automatically, am I correct?
The other issue is that the reviewer seems to be estimating the temperature difference using the sensible heat equation with the total cooling capacity, which is incorrect, right? If I use the sensible heat capacity, as it should be in the equation, the temperature difference drops to 30F; which is still high and I intend to correct it, but it is not 65F as mentioned by the reviewer.

I really appreciate your help.
Best regards,

Ing. Gast?n Michaud F.
Tel.: (506) 2222-7529
Fax: (506) 2256-5608
From USA: 1-305-433-3668
Calle 30, Avenida 0 y 2. San Jos?, Costa Rica

[Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: LEEDAP_BDCbw] [cid:image002.jpg at 01CF4517.8D2BB550]

[Description: Logo CTS firma]
Este correo puede contener informaci?n protegida por el secreto profesional. Si usted no es la persona a quien va dirigido, por favor tome en cuenta que su divulgaci?n, distribuci?n o reproducci?n es estrictamente prohibida. Cualquier persona que reciba este mensaje por error debe notificarlo inmediatamente al remitente v?a telef?nica o correo electr?nico y borrarlo permanentemente de su computador. Los comentarios plasmados en este correo son del remitente solamente y no reflejan necesariamente la posici?n de CTS S.A.
Por favor considere su responsabilidad con el medio ambiente antes de imprimir este correo electr?nico
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This mail may contain information that is legally privileged, confidential or exempt from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, please note that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. Anyone who receives this message in error should notify the sender immediately by telephone or by e-mail and delete it permanently from their computer. The opinions above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the position of CTS S.A.
Please consider your environmental responsibility before printing this e-mail

Gastón Michaud Fernández's picture