90.1 and Appendix A Materials

7 posts / 0 new
Last post

Has anyone invested the time to create or otherwise stumbled across an *.inp file that contains the materials defined in Appendix A9 for easy import/use?

I had a model reviewer (not USGBC) who was unsatisfied with the material thermal properties in the default DOE2 library. I ultimately went through the enormously entertaining exercise of defining materials with matching prescriptive R-values, while still using library data to retain appropriate thermal massing properties to avoid construction errors from weightless constructions.

This was an isolated case, but I could see such a file being a very handy resource for most modelers, particularly if it contained the contents of Tables A9.2A and 9.2B to pull the effective insulation/framing properties into our custom construction layers.

If this is flying over anyone's head who's interested, attached is a partial example of what I'm talking about - if you click File ? Import File... and navigate to this file, you'll have a couple defined materials ready to access for your project within seconds - conceivably everything within 90.1 if someone had the time to invest...

On a related note... and I should have asked before, but does Section A9.2 possibly exempt the rest of Section A9 for eQuest users who rely on unmodified default library entries to define their custom envelope constructions?

NICK CATON, E.I.T.

Nick-Caton's picture

Nick,
The DO2.1e input files available as part of the 90.1 User's Manual rely on the DOE2 library of construction materials.

Paul Riemer

Paul Riemer's picture

Paul,

I've been browsing through the ASHRAE DOE-2 files since receiving your email. I believe I have been following the same rabbit trail that Nick has so it would be great to have canned constructions. Can you explain the best method for importing the ASHRAE constructions into a model? I assume the edit must be made in the INP file. I typically try to avoid editing the INP file since my knowledge of the "code" behind eQuest is limited.

Thanks

Seth Spangler, LEED? AP

Tiger06's picture

Seth,
My point was simply that someone at ASHRAE considered the DOE-2.1e library of materials suitable for reference and if a reviewer challenged my use of the DOE2 library I would point that out as well as showing that they worked reasonably.

Nick wondered about an inp snip it file of the constructions but I don't think the ASHRAE DOE-2 files have many of the constructions and I am not aware of any public ones.

I do like the approach to Import snip its of inp files of things like constructions, layers, glass types, schedules, etc. They still have to follow the inp file syntax but once you have a good working one you can import it for multiple projects.
Of course the value all depends on how long it takes you to make them and how many times you can reuse them.
Editing and managing library files has other risks and rewards.

Paul Riemer

Paul Riemer's picture

Just a reminder: the ##INCLUDE command is rather convenient for importing saved construction types, schedules, etc.

I have a master input.inp file that contains all of the various construction types, windows, rate schedules, part load curves, process schedules (elevators, garage fans, etc), etc that I've used over the years.

Instead of copying various sections of this file into my new projects, I just put the following at the very beginning of a new model AFTER going into detailed mode:

##INCLUDE input.inp

It automatically imports all of the library components into the model, and once you reopen in eQuest, and do a save, it erases the ##include line and automatically moves the schedules, construction types, etc to the corresponding section of the .inp file.

You can even use the ##FILEPREFIX command to set a path name for the ##INCLUDE command should you want to keep this library .inp file on a network or something like that...

James Hansen, PE, LEED AP

James Hansen's picture

A while back I developed an INP file that contained all the baseline constructions for every climate zone. If you've got the ASHRAE Fundamentals handbook for looking up material properties, this was a pretty routine process. First create the new materials/layers/constructions in detailed edit mode, Appendix A has some detailed descriptions on what those should be (see A3.3.1 for steel framed wall). Next open the inp file and delete everything except the materials, layers and constructions. You can then import that inp file into any project using the eQuest import function. I've attached the file I created for this and just ask that you let me know if you find any mistakes!

I've been considering creating a similar file with the ASHRAE recommended schedules from the 90.1 User's Manual, but not sure if this would be as useful.

Adam

Adam.Boyd at CH2M.com's picture

James: I'd like to ask to clarify - it would seem what I've been doing to import previous schedules and such is very similar in function...

Wouldn't clicking "File ? Import File ? Navigate to input.inp" in detailed mode do exactly the same thing for you?

Paul: thanks so much for the clarification! I did have a strong hunch I was running in circles and now I may have some ammo next time I'm criticized for relying on the DOE2.1e library materials =).

Adam: you've described the exact process I have begun - though so far I've only saved bits and pieces of reuseable work from projects I've done along the way rather than try to build any one library of references. Overall your layers look very organized and similar to what I'm used to seeing. eQuest's overall calculated U-value for each construction appear to be floating slightly above the 90.1 Chapter 5 table values but I'm certain that's just a rounding issue... I don't have enough experience to guess whether it might cause you or anyone else trouble with a picky model reviewer.

To everyone: Are there any plans on the DOE2 development side of things to add ASHRAE 90.1 construction/layer/material entries similar to Adam's example to the default eQuest libraries, or would this fall too low on the list of development priorities?

NICK CATON, E.I.T.

Nick-Caton's picture