3.65 - new feature?

21 posts / 0 new
Last post

Does anybody know what intended use this new button in the top-right corner is for?

[cid:image001.png at 01CEC38F.3EFAB340]

[cid:489575314 at 22072009-0ABB]

NICK CATON, P.E.

Nick-Caton's picture

sounds like an export button to write the BDL File (building description
file) that is actually used by equest (generated from the .inp file) out
to a database format. depending on format could be a move in the
direction to gbxml conversion, or something. probably the "or
something." perhaps a format similar to mysql. or something ...

Patrick J. O'Leary, Jr.'s picture

In the new format I have been having trouble uploading a CAD drawing for a
custom footprint. I'll go through the normal process of uploading the CAD,
hit apply to add the CAD drawing background, and nothing will show up. I
check the layer visibility and no layers are shown to check or uncheck. So
I'll try to add a drawing again, same result or just outright freeze of
eQuest. Anyone experiencing these problems

Thanks

Brian Smith

Brian Smith's picture

I've experienced the same problem. Tried savings drawings as older versions, but no different. Drawings just don't show up.

Riley Beise, P.Eng., BEMP, LEED Green Associate

Riley Beise2's picture

any difference if using a different autocad version to import? 2004,
2007, 2011? 2004 had always worked best for me since it was less
complicated than newer versions.

Patrick J. O'Leary, Jr.'s picture

I've had good luck so far with a 3.65 project currently importing... 6 different CAD references... more to come however.

When you import a new file, are the origin coordinates wildly off? If that is the issue, your "invisible" reference might appear far on the periphery if you zoom way out. I did notice that occurring a few times in this project (although this issue happened with previous versions of eQuest) and corrected to match the coordinates of previous imports.

I have no idea exactly what causes this behavior & how to prevent it in the first place. Still, to sync coordinates I think the easiest way is when you first see the prompt on locating x/y coordinates for a new import, the CAD file name in that same dialog is a dropdown you can toggle to view the other imports you already have. By reference you can edit/correct the new file's settings to match the others.

Hope that helps!

~Nick

NICK CATON, P.E.

Nick-Caton's picture

An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL:

Bruce Easterbrook's picture

I use basically the same process to set up my CAD file for import. Can't
stress enough how much time & headache you can save yourself in the Wizard
CAD import process by taking some extra time up front to do exactly what
Bruce describes below, especially resetting coordinates and making an equest
layer.

If I'm working on a building with multiple floors that have different
footprints or zone types/sizes, I also consolidate all of the zone outlines
in one autocad file, with a separate layer for each floor, and match up the
origin points.

Steven

Steven Savich's picture

I have another post on this website asking about exactly this CAD issue. I can assure you, that i have the coords set properly. Every cad drawing we do is set at 0 0 0 in autocad, and when it is imported into equest we set the cad coords to 0 0. I even suspected that this may be the issue, so I zoomed extremely far out and check all the peripherals of the equest autocad screen to no prevail. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Tom

WBA Consulting Engineers 1090 Washington St. Hanover, MA 02339
thamwey's picture

Did anyone come up with a solution for this issue? It doesn't seem to be an issue with origin, file complexity, or AutoCAD version. If I use AutoCAD 2014 it tells me I have an invalid file version. Older versions act like they are working, but the layer list is empty. It doesn't matter where I set my origin or how I set up the AutoCAD files. I use a separate eQUEST layer for all my new model imports as previously described. Could this be an issue with the installation? I have eQUEST 3.64 installed on my machine as well and the file import works just fine. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Tim

Tim Johnson, PE, BEMP, LEED AP

Tim Johnson's picture

We have had the same issue, absolutely no success in getting an autoCAD file to show up in 3.65 despite multiple attempts at file format, file simplification, etc.

So far we have resorted to creating the building geometry in 3.64 and importing that into a ?blank? 3.65 project. It is an awkward work-around at best.

Nathan Miller - PE, LEED?AP BD+C, CEM

Nathan Miller's picture

Nathan's suggestion is the only one that I have been able to make work. It should be easier than this. I have tried re-installing and running in compatibility mode without much luck, backsaving and even saving as a .dxf, but the layer list continually remains empty after supposedly uploading. Might sit this update out unless I'm losing out on something huge

Regards

Brian Smith

Brian Smith's picture

I'm also using 3.64 to build geometry and then opening the inp in 3.65 afterwards. This seems to work fine, I haven't had any problems with this so far, but of course I would prefer to start in 3.65.

For those of you who maybe don't know this trick, when opening a file in eQUEST you can change the file type from pd2 to inp and open those directly (rather than importing the inp into a blank project).

[cid:image001.png at 01CED574.ED72A800]

Riley Beise, P.Eng., BEMP, LEED Green Associate

Riley Beise2's picture

Hopefully these bugs can be worked out. There are some nice features with the new version, but with the autocad issues and the hourly report issues, I am with you, Brian. Jeff, I appreciate the update. We will be looking for the updates.
Thanks,
Tim

Tim Johnson

Nathan's suggestion is the only one that I have been able to make work. It should be easier than this. I have tried re-installing and running in compatibility mode without much luck, backsaving and even saving as a .dxf, but the layer list continually remains empty after supposedly uploading. Might sit this update out unless I'm losing out on something huge

Regards
Brian Smith

Tim Johnson's picture

I am just now finishing up with a project using the new version - haven't
come across anything different (could be that none of the updates are
relevant to my project). Could you please describe some of the nice
features that you mention?
Here is the stuff that looked different at the wizard level (haven't used
it) -
1. Something about data center in the wizard - I think it helps with data
center modelling? Also allows the location of thermostat in the zone vs
return air
2. Humidity can be set at the wizard level.
3. Allows water side economizer input
4. A database related button at the zone level?

Don't think I saw anything new in the detailed level.

Thanks,
-Rohini

R B's picture
R B

I haven't used 3.65 that much, but I like the new airside summary and
.sim viewer, they are quite a bit easier to use. You can also batch
plot your reports, which will save a lot of time for LEED submittals.
The other thing I noticed from my first real attempt at 3.65 the
building shade definition. You can now use polygons for building
shades. This will come in handy on occasion. I haven't seen big
differences in modeling capabilities, but the interface improvements are
appreciated.
Tim

I am just now finishing up with a project using the new version -
haven't come across anything different (could be that none of the
updates are relevant to my project). Could you please describe some of
the nice features that you mention?
Here is the stuff that looked different at the wizard level (haven't
used it) -
1. Something about data center in the wizard - I think it helps with
data center modelling? Also allows the location of thermostat in the
zone vs return air
2. Humidity can be set at the wizard level.
3. Allows water side economizer input
4. A database related button at the zone level?
Don't think I saw anything new in the detailed level.
Thanks,
-Rohini

Tim Johnson's picture

I?d like to briefly share a caution with respect to ?data centers? in the 3.65 wizards as passed on to me by J. J. Hirsch.
If you select specific building types for your shells (such as hospitals), you will have the option to define ?computer server? and ?IT equipment? for your space use allocations later in the shell definition screens. Doing so will in turn will tell the wizards to call for a default ?data center hvac? system. This is all something to AVOID, as they?re features of DOE2.3 which shouldn?t be appearing (yet) in eQuest.
On a related point, under specific circumstances you may see the option to tick a box that reads ?Has a supply plenum? in the zone names and characteristics screen. This will define underfloor supply plenums (I observed this in the 3D view at one point), which are also ?leaked? features of the DOE2.3 wizards that should be avoided at present.
If you run into these things, I advise avoiding them entirely. I personally ran into some rough wizard crashes that pushed me to re-start a project in 3.64.
Mr. Hirsch has shared his team intends to clean up these ?leaked? features and to update the 3.65 install file posted online. I?m not sure if/when we?ll get a heads up that that has (or already has) happened, but in any case if you are choosing to use 3.65 for any new project I?d strongly recommend ensuring you are working with the most recent build available ? check the posting dates in the name of your install file against what?s currently available on the doe2 website.
Best regards,
~Nick

NICK CATON, P.E.

Nick-Caton's picture

On the download page http://doe2.com/download/equest/ I?m currently seeing four different postings of v3.65. I assume that each is a progressively updated version with bug fixes. The most recent .msi file upload is dated Thursday, October 24, 2013 11:26 PM.

I?m downloading that version right now for testing.

Best,

Steven

Steven Savich, LEED AP

Steven Savich's picture

No luck, the most current version appears to have the same autocad import bug.

Steven Savich's picture

Does anyone know the timeline for the DOE2.3 release?

Steve Jacobs's picture

The creation in the content of education is very essential. The students of modern era want to study the latest write my essay for me cheap ideas and curriculum. If content is updated, the students will study with concentration.

Anonymous's picture
Anonymous